Saturday, July 3, 2010

Three Cups of Tea

This is off the topic of life in Korea, but I just have to post it. Did anyone read "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin?

three_cupscover
*Image courtesy of CCF.

Just finished it tonight (yeah, I'm that cool staying in and reading on a Saturday night). Anyway, it is INCREDIBLE. Easily one of the best books I've ever read.

It tells the story of this guy, Greg Mortenson's mission to build schools (especially for girls) in Pakistan and Afghanistan before and after 911. Greg overcame crazy obstacles to make this happen and I know it's cliche, but is a real life American hero. We hear so much in the news about terrorists and the war on terror, but following Greg's story and seeing the culture and people of the region come alive in this book puts all of that in a completely different perspective.

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommend this book... READ IT READ IT READ IT!

1 comment:

Erin Folwarski said...

I feel the same way, once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. I was so inspired after he read it, and he has another book out, Stones into School, that I'm on list @ library waiting to read. Its amazing how an idea so simple like a school, could be so effective, yet its hardly ever the option leaders make.