Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Resilience

A few weeks ago Mark and I went with some friends to see a documentary made by a Korean adoptee about a Korean adoptee who reunites with his birth mother called Resilience. It showed their separate lives, their reunion, and their post-reunion lives.

It was almost eerie seeing the movie. It was like I was watching my post-reunion with my birth parents. So many of the things shown in the movie I have experienced... the over-familiarity, the huge emphasis on food, and of course, the ever-present language barrier.

I think another Korean adoptee, Lee, whose blog I read, wrote a really great post that is well worth a read. In addition to a good description of the movie, he also talks about some Korean values, which really explain a lot of the things I have had a hard time with culturally here. Anyway, you can read his post here.

1 comment:

Mica said...

I've seen a clip of this movie (I think.)--the part where they are smoking together, but they're not able to speak to each other in the same language. Maybe this is another film...

I wish some of these films would come here!