Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Random Pictures

Here are some random pictures from our camera that I wanted to share.

Last Friday, I introduced my class to Easter. Believe it or not, Koreans don't have an Easter Bunny and Easter is not the commercialized holiday it is in the US. Only Christian kids celebrate it as a religious holiday. So I explained the concept of the Easter Bunny to the kids and all of them decorated their own Easter eggs with crayons and stickers. And we had a little classroom Easter egg hunt. The munchkins had so much fun!

Here's little Brian with his egg. Notice his cute little basket next to him. My co-teacher Anne made each of the kids their own baskets. Don't you just want to pinch those cheeks?


Here's Andy with his egg attempting a peace sign. We had just finished reading "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" so Andy was convinced that there was a caterpillar in his egg and it would turn into a butterfly.


Here's Chloe with her egg and Anne in the background. Funny story about Chloe, she refuses to wear her Poly uniform anymore. Because it is black and white, so it's not "pretty" and she doesn't look like a princess. So she's been wearing pink outfits for about a week straight.


Here's Brian mid-Easter egg hunt... very confused about where his egg could possibly be.


And here's the gang holding their baskets after they found their eggs. We then launched into the song, "Here comes Peter Cottontail." It was a very fun day and I think they all like Easter now!


Complete subject change, but you know how I've been talking about how Korean franchises of American restaurants are so much nicer than the American restaurants? Here's a prime example... Mark and I went to Pizza Hut. First of all, Pizza Huts in Korea are really nice restaurants with salad buffets. And when we didn't finish our pizza, we got a doggy bag, and look what was brought back to us... a pizza box wrapped up with a pretty bow. I saw the waiter basically gift-wrapping our leftovers. And to think that he doesn't even work for tips!


Finally, the last group of random pictures are from two weekends ago. Emily's sister is in Korea for a year studying Korean. So, we hung out with the birth family. In this picture, from left to right, is Emily's sister's friend, Emily's sister, and Emily.


That night, birth Father expressed an interest in learning how to play the Wii, so we had a little impromptu family game night. It was really funny because BF was really getting into it!


Whew, I think I'm finally caught up with the pictures. We have a birthday party to go to this weekend and I have an appointment to get my hair cut (by someone who can speak English - thank goodness - NO MORE PERMS). So there will be more to share soon!

6 comments:

Mom (J) said...

Riley wanted an Easter Bunny too. He almost caught one on Sunday morning.

Julia Goolia said...

Obvi, I am obsessed with the gift wrapped pizza. Two of my favorite things in life...

Jen said...

So your students couldn't be any cuter! I love that you shared Easter with them...what a treat!

steve-o said...

Cute kids. Is it common for Koreans to have such Anglo-sounding names?

Unknown said...

Steve-O: All the kids just arbitrarily pick English names for English school. So these aren't their real names... that's why some of the names are out there... like Benedict for a 4 year old. :)

Aunt Carol said...

I'm glad you commented on the Easter Bunny business. I wondered what the customs were in Korea about Easter. How cute are all those little ones!