Tuesday, March 2, 2010

LOVE!

I haven't mentioned this on my blog yet, but my brother, Kevin, and his wife, Alicia, are visiting us in Korea right now. It's been so great, and we're having a blast. I plan to do another post with pictures of things we've done, places we've gone, and food we've eaten. Stay tuned.

Anyway, the point of this post is that today we visited Sung Ae Won Orphanage in Busan, where Kevin spent the first 5 years of his life. We visited the orphanage before and I blogged about it here. Once again, it was an amazing experience for me. I'm not going to go into too many details of this visit because I feel that it's Kevin's story to tell if he chooses.

Anyway, while we were chatting with the orphanage worker, Chris, and the Chairman of the Board, we noticed a poem on the table. It's so touching and resonates with me, especially in light of my recent reunion with my birth mother and my mom's support through all of it. Love it!!! Hope you enjoy it too.

Legacy of an Adopted Child
- author unknown -

Once there were two women
who never knew each other
One you do not remember
The other you call mother.

Two different lives shaped to make yours one
One became your guiding star
The other became your sun.

The first gave you life
And the second taught you to live in it
The first gave you a need for love
And the second was there to give it.

One gave you a nationality
The other gave you a name.
One gave you the seed of talent
The other gave you an aim.

One gave you emotions
The other calmed your fears
One saw your first sweet smile
The other dried your tears.

One gave you up -- it was all that she could do,
The other prayed for a child,
And God led her straight to you.

And now you ask me through your tears,
The age old questions through the years:
Heredity or Environment - which are you the product of?
Neither my darling - neither
Just two different kinds of love.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

what a great poem!

Aunt Carol said...

What a powerful and beautiful tribute to both your mothers, Kim -- and really, to all mothers everywhere. Hope Kevin and Alicia are having a great time with you! Looking forward to pictures of all of you.