Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Contingency plans

K: Mark and I decided to crack open a bottle of Mark West and talk night last night. Partially to celebrate the 2-year anniversary of the day we got engaged (hard to believe it's been that long!) and mostly since we hadn't seen each other all weekend and we wanted to catch up. As Mark puts it (in his mocking tone) "any chance we can get to talk talk talk!" Haha.

As most of our conversations of late usually do, the chatter turned toward our thoughts about moving to Korea. As we shared our perspectives and thoughts, it occurred to both of us how differently we approach the same topics. I asked Mark at what point we would decide not to go. For example, if we don't have jobs lined up 3 months before we'd fly out for the Olympics, would we decide it was a lost cause... or would we wait until two weeks before.. or the day before...??

Mark looked at me like I was crazy - like not going was not even an option. That's where we differ: when Mark decides he's going to do something, he doesn't even consider failure as an option, whereas I prefer to have a backup plan. I'm of the mindset that if I don't know what will happen if it doesn't work out, then the failure would be even worse.

So... to ease my nerves, we formulated a "contingency plan." We decided that if Korea doesn't work out, we will immediately start saving for a trip to Europe, which is something we've always talked and daydreamed about. Not a bad contingency plan, eh? China/Korea one year and Europe the next!


Julia said...

I'm a big fan of backup plans myself. Europe would be so much fun for you guys! What part are you thinking? It will work out for the best either way.

Han Won and Hubby said...

Absolutely no clue. Didn't get that detailed into the plan, just like knowing it's there. :-)

I know you've been quite a few places - suggestions?

Lindsey said...


Julia said...

Duh, Spain. Also Italy and Ireland for sure. I can see you and Mark strutting around Dublin with the locals and being obsessed.