Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sogang KLEC Semester 1 Recap

Hard to believe the first semester of Korean classes is over. It's been a great 3 months and I've seen huge improvements in my Korean. (Basically went from being able to say hello and thank you to forming coherent-ish sentences.) I've said it before, but I'm really glad we chose to take this little life detour.

Here's the building we studied in... Arrupe Hall. We were on the 8th floor. Next semester we'll be in another building.

IMG_0380

We started every day with an hour of writing. Here is our writing teacher. She was incredibly patient and never seemed to mind when she had to correct the same mistakes over and over in my book.

IMG_0382

And this was our main teacher, who we had for 2 hours every day for speaking class. She is so spunky and has a great sense of humor. If she wasn't our teacher, I'd have totally tried to be friends with her. Our classmate is having a party for the class and the teachers tomorrow night... maybe there's still time to make this friendship happen. :)

IMG_0385

Oh and do you see all the cards on the board? That's an example of the little conversations that she would put up that we would then practice with our classmates.

Last is our listening and reading teacher. She was really good at explaining difficult things to us in Korean. For example, one of the new vocabulary words was an importing/exporting business. I'm not sure how she did it, but she managed to make us understand that while explaining entirely in Korean.

IMG_0387

I like in this picture that there's the lightbulb above my head and "참!" which is what Koreans say when they realize/remember something. :)

Anyway, what a great first semester. Looking forward to what lies ahead, but am incredibly grateful to these awesome teachers for getting us to the point we are now.

3 comments:

Gail S. Ludwig said...

Just wondering why the "cross" above the blackboard? Is the school affiliated with the catholic church? At least it looks like a catholic cross!!!

Mica said...

Yay! Look at you, being all proficient in Korean! Congratulations to you and Mark. It's totally cool that you're over there, learning and doin' stuff!

There are a TON of Koreans in my new MA program, and I bet I'll have at least a few, if not a ton, in the academic writing course that I teach in the fall. Whee, connections!

Unknown said...

Gail -- yep, it's a catholic cross. Sogang is a Jesuit university.

And WOOO Mica! Can't wait to hear all about your new classes and people you meet!